DON’T GET SCAMMED:
Find a Qualified Contractor
We can be proud that neighbors in our area have pulled together to help each other after our recent flooding disaster. Now, it’s time to pull together again as we try to rebuild our lives and our homes. On behalf of the Home Builders Association of WV, we’d like to warn you about another potential disaster: unscrupulous contractors.
Beware of these warning signs:
- You’re told that on this job, a contract won’t be necessary.
- You’re asked to pay for the entire job “up front”—or pay cash to a salesperson instead of a check or money order to a company.
- You are confronted with scare tactics.
- You’re told you’ve been “chosen” as a demonstration project at a special, low price.
- You’re told a low price is good only if you sign a contract today.
- The contractor won’t give you references—or the references can’t be located.
- You can’t verify the contractor’s business address.
If a contractor you feel is not being upfront has contacted you, please contact the Home Builders Association of WV for a list of reliable contractors. We can be reached at 304-342-5176 or Rskeen@hbawv.org.
These websites provide additional resources to help you prepare for – and recover from –natural and man-made disasters.
- American Red Cross
The American Red Cross website provides useful information on how to recover from a natural disaster.
- FEMA Disaster Resources
Access resources on FEMA’s website to plan, prepare and mitigate the impact of a natural disaster.
- HUD Disaster Recovery Toolkit
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development provides a toolkit with downloadable resources, reports and guides to aid in the disaster recovery process.
- Ready.gov Website
This government website provides resources on how to prepare, plan and stay informed about natural and man-made disasters.
Consumer Protection information
Contractor License Search
- West Virginia Division of Labor/Contractor License Search
- The WV Division of Labor is involved in many facets of daily life, both from a business and personal perspective. Responsible for Contractor Licensing, job site safety and more, WV Division of Labor is a useful resource.